[Systems] runaway apache processes on sunjammer

Ivan Krstić krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu
Tue Nov 24 04:27:30 EST 2009

David pointed out a large number of Apache processes on sunjammer
coming up earlier tonight and then again after a restart. Most of
these were in I/O sleep:

root at sunjammer:/srv/home/krstic# ps ax -o pid,state,command | grep
apache | grep D | wc -l
239

My first guess is that NFS is doing something stupid. A look at
mount(8) output shows several overlapping NFS mounts, some of which
are obviously misspelled, and others are just weird (why are there
loopback NFS mounts mounted to actual directories?).

Anyway, whoever set this up ought to clean up the NFS configuration
and eliminate the stray mounts. My guess is Apache will keep building
up dead processes until then.

--
Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | http://radian.org