[Systems] a.sl.o progress

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Wed Nov 11 02:58:02 EST 2009

We are having a productive week here in Bolzano!

Dogi and I have separated off form the others to work on a.sl.o.  Dogi
and Bernie have been setting up vm templates so we can abstract out
the various a.sl.o components onto individual VMs.  I think these vms
are currently living on treehouse.  Long term the big wins of this
approach with be that we can:
1. Individually tune the components.  Because of the numerous systems
interacting on sunjammer I have been having trouble determining the
meaning of benchmarks.
2. We will be able to move the vms onto seperate physical machines as necessary.
3. There is no direct interaction between the aslo cluster and
sunjammer.  Rather than setting up nfs between download.sl.o and
sunjammer, I am running rsync every ten minutes.  If sunjammer is
compromised it will not affect aslo.

So far we have a test instance running at
http://140.186.70.144/en-US/sugar/ .  Below is to do list for the rest
of the week:)   It looks like it will continue to be a rather
iterative process.  I hope we can finish setting it up this week.
Benchmark and test it next week.  And go live the following week.

david

---- aslo-db ----
- remake with Bernie's template
- test backup and restore
- add muinin monitors
- tune memory
- tune config

Going live -
- snapshot of database

Notes -
ssh access to bernie, dogi, dfarning
mysql access to 'activities' @ 'localhost'
		'activities' @ 'aslo-web'
only use ip address - to eliminate dns lookup.

---- aslo-web ----
- remake with Bernie's template
- connect to aslo-db
? what git branch to pull
- test backup and restore
- add munin monitors
- tune memory
- apache config
	tune
- vhost config
	logfiles
- php config
	file sizes
- aslo config
	db connection
	memcache connection
	files dir
	download dir
- aslo cron jobs
	log parse
	maintain

Going live -
- snapshot of files
- snapshot of download

Notes -
ssh access to bernie, dogi, dfarning
- connects to aslo-db
- listens for http, https from aslo-reverse-proxy
- only use ip adresses - to eliminate dns lookups.
- run memchached on aslo-web until it is necessary to move.
- rsync from downloads/activites to
download.sugarlabs.org/downloads/activites every 5 minutes.

---- aslo-reverse-proxy ----
- make with Bernie's template
- test backup and restore
- add munin monitors
- squid config

Going live -
- direct activites.sugarlabs.org to public ip

Notes -
ssh access to bernie, dogi, dfarning
Public facing servicename

if time