[Systems] wiki

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Mon Mar 16 03:53:19 EDT 2009

Ivan Krstić wrote:
> Tried a bunch of things like better caching (memcached) and different
> apache MPMs, but it didn't end up helping. Then I rolled a sparc64 build
> of the APC opcode cache (<http://pecl.php.net/package/APC>), gave it a
> 256MB segment size with pthread mutexes, and wiki page renders went from
> 1600-1800ms down to 400-500ms each.
>
> Live solarsail APC statistics: <https://radian.org/~krstic/apc.php>
>
> We have a near-99% cache hit rate.

Oh, yeah, I also had great results using APC an e-library application
for OLE Nepal.  And it's as transparent as a cache could get.

BTW, according to GoogleBot, our response time seems to have slowed down
a little since February:

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/crawlstats?siteUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwiki.sugarlabs.org%2F&hl=en

I dunno why, could very well be some MediaWiki extension we added.
We (I'm mostly talking to myself here) should remember to do an
apachebench before and after configuration changes that are likely to
impact performance.

--
   // Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/
 \X/  Sugar Labs       - http://www.sugarlabs.org/