[Systems] [support.osuosl.org #5846] Sugar Labs: Hosting for Pootle

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Wed Jan 14 11:53:04 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
> Chris Leonard wrote:
>> Pootle is a tool that manages to the translation process of the Sugar
>> user interface strings.
>>
>> Pootle (the upstream) information
>> http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/pootle/index
>>
>> The existing OLPC Poolte server/service can be seen at:
>> https://dev.laptop.org/translate/
>>
>> I can't give you any details on system requirements (as seen in real
>> life) beyond the upstream's documentation:
>>
>> http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/pootle/installation
>
> What Chris said.
>
> The memory footprint of our instance is 1.6GB though, and the VM needs
> to be CPU limited because Pootle is quite a hog.
>
> We don't have any particular distro requirement, and Python 2.4 would
> do, therefore CentOS 5 would work for us this time.  I'm also not
> opposed to Gentoo, for uniformity.
>
> We'd like to make Chris the maintainer of Pootle, and I will be a
> backup admin.

Chris,
You must be nuts:)

Seriously, Poolte is a big and very valuable part of Sugar Labs for a
number of reasons:
1.  Translations are really important:)
2.  The work flow structures that you develop and test for translation
will apply to the rest of Sugar Labs.
3.  Translation is a incredibly valuable 'on ramp' activity for
community projects.  What starts as a personal itch can quickly grow
into 'wow, this little groups of friends and I _CAN_ have an _impact_
for local users, the project, and the world."

Thanks
david