[Systems] [support.osuosl.org #5840] Root owned files in /var/lib/git (sugarlabs)

Lance Albertson via RT support at osuosl.org
Mon Jan 12 12:09:31 EST 2009

On Sat Jan 10 19:07:51 2009, bernie at codewiz.org wrote:
> Ciao,
>
> one of our maintenance cron jobs is apparently running as user root as
> opposed of gitorious, and is creating files owned by root in
> /var/lib/git.

Following up from our conversation on IRC. We have a script the runs
weekly to tidy up any git repository we host. This script runs as root,
but if the repository isn't setup correctly as a "shared" repo in the
config, it will rewrite files as root thus creating the problem you
encountered.

The correct way to fix this is to adjust gitorious to always setup new
repositories as a shared repo. Do you think you could update the code to
do that? You might want to go ahead and fix all the repositories by hand
so that it doesn't break again later this week.

I realize that only one user interacts with the repositories, but I'd
rather fix it properly than create a one-off work around.

Thanks!

--
Lance Albertson
Systems Administrator / Architect