[Systems] sunjammer.sugarlabs.org downtime - Wed Dec 30 9am-10am New_York time

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Wed Dec 30 19:08:01 EST 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-29 at 11:23 -0500, Daniel Clark wrote:
> If there is time during the maintenance window, we are going to
> relocate all filesystem journals to the SSD RAID1, which some
> people have reported as giving significant performance
> improvements [1].

+1. I obtained interesting improvements even moving the journal to a
normal hard drive (writes to the journal are mostly sequential anyway).

Note that ext3 (and ext4) should support storing multiple external
journals in the same partition, but iirc there was some tricky caveat
with this.

> I realize the timing could be better with Bernie being on vacation,
> but this work really needs to get done; if someone else who has root on
> sunjammer could be available on #fsfsys (freenode) during the
> maintenance window that would be useful.

Sorry, I didn't read my mail in time to be online today.
Anyway, thanks for taking care of this while I was having fun in SF! :-)