[Systems] sunjammer.sugarlabs.org downtime - Wed Dec 30 9am-10am New_York time

Daniel Clark dclark at pobox.com
Tue Dec 29 11:23:34 EST 2009

The machine that hosts sunjammer.sugarlabs.org has several failed disks
(we use triple-redundancy raid1, so all of the sunjammer.sugarlabs.org
data is still on a "normal", double-redundancy raid1).

I am tentatively planning on replacing them tomorrow morning, Wed Dec 30
9am-10am New_York time.

Normally this would not require downtime, however unfortunately one of
the dead disks is a 8GB SLC SSD that is may not be hot-swappable (used
for boot, not in a pull-out chassis).

The particular model of SSD we are using seems prone to early death
(when we got the two of them, one was DOA), so we are going to just
replace both of them with new 16GB SSDs from a different manufacturer.

If there is time during the maintenance window, we are going to relocate
all filesystem journals to the SSD RAID1, which some people have
reported as giving significant performance improvements [1].

I realize the timing could be better with Bernie being on vacation, but
this work really needs to get done; if someone else who has root on
sunjammer could be available on #fsfsys (freenode) during the
maintenance window that would be useful.

I'll confirm this timing via a post to the fsfstatus identi.ca group [2].

[1] Improving Ext3 performance by placing the journal on a Flash Disk
http://insights.oetiker.ch/linux/external-journal-on-ssd/

[2] Monitor FSF and GNU Server Status (fsfstatus) group
http://identi.ca/group/fsfstatus

--
Daniel JB Clark   | Sys Admin, Free Software Foundation
pobox.com/~dclark | http://www.fsf.org/about/staff#danny