[Systems] Hosting at RIT

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Wed Dec 16 17:19:15 EST 2009

So we have a deal for free hosting at RIT.

Ivan and I have been discussing hardware options over the fast few
weeks. We believe we have found a decent 8-core machine for
approximately $3000.  Ivan offered to pay a share of this sum.
I believe we have $2000 earmarked for infrastructure.

The use we plan to do for this new machine is:

1) replace our aging main machine solarsail, which runs
   www, wiki, trac, planet and mailing lists

2) running aslo, which is currently saturating the processor
   on sunjammer, but should have plenty of room for growth on
   this box

3) House some of the small virtual machines that are currently
   hosted in disparate locations

4) host a few unrelated domains previously hosted on solarsail

Point (4) may sound a bit controversial, but I think it's a fair deal,
considering that we've been using solarsail for as long as 2 years
without paying. All our infrastructure is currently running on third
party hardware usually shared by other services.

This not only reduces operating costs for us ($0 so far ;-), it is
primarily a way to maintain friendly work relationships with our
partners and sponsors. I ultimately believe that friendly agreements
with people we trust personally are worth more than any support
contract.

On the other hand, having our infrastructure fragmented in too many
disparate locations is costing us a lot in terms of sysadmin time, so
we're looking to consolidate our services on fewer physical machines in
2-3 locations.

It's not yet decided how much we'll rely on virtualization to partition
our hardware resources. There are good technical arguments both in favor
and against it. I'm not strongly opinionated either way, so I guess we
may decide what works best for us on a service-by-service basis.

Thoughts?