[Systems] DBMS on sunjammer

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-systems at silbe.org
Wed Dec 9 15:45:48 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 09:24:20AM -0500, Bernie Innocenti wrote:

> Rails actually does it right, abstracting away (most of) SQL syntax
> differences.
That's the golden way of course, but not having it is no excuse for
tying anything but the most specialized software to a single DBMS. I've
written software utilizing the (at least formerly) quite different
"geospatial" support on MySQL and PostgreSQL and even that wasn't hard
to do with very simple programming technics (templates for the importer,
class inheritance for the map viewer). The problem isn't coding, but
education. If tutorials, examples and code from other software interface
directly to mysql instead of using the abstraction layers, most
programmers will do the same.

>> - file-level full backup + write ahead logs (more complex to set up,
>> large, continuous backup)
>> Depending on how bad it is to loose recent data I'd suggest either
>> the SQL dump (easy to set up, potentially useful for migrations) or
>> the continuous backup (which can be "upgraded" to hot standby
>> servers, i.e. high availability).
> I was hoping to setup a slave DB server on beamrider. MySQL supports a
> very simple replication scheme using binary logs that are transfered
> the slave and replayed.
That sounds quite similar to the "continuous backup" for PostgreSQL,
except that it's only for failover, i.e. no access to the data until
after the switchover.

> The slaves are of course read-only, but can relay write queries to the
> master and do automatic takeover.  This has the advantage of being
> simple and transparent for client applications.
PostgreSQL is supposed to support that with Slony-I
(postgresql-8.4-slony1, slony1-bin, slony1-doc on Debian). I've never
used it, though.

> The disadvantage is that it is quite naive compared to real
> clustering,
> but I don't think we want/need to introduce so much complexity at this
> time.
Agreed. As long as we don't even need a dedicated master machine,
there's no point setting up anything complicated.

> I swear I'm not being anti-PostgreSQL. In fact, I find the religious
> DB
> wars quite pointless. All RDBMSes suck, and that's it :-)
+1, even though I like dissing MySQL (because it sucks more than
PostgreSQL for my own use cases). ;)

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/