[Systems] Plan B: treehouse <-> housetree

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Wed Dec 9 12:58:56 EST 2009

Dogi and I just finished discussing the current situation. Here's our
proposal to keep things running while treehouse gets repaired:

1) sync the base OS of housetree with newer bits from treehouse
(housetree used to be a twin of treehouse 3 months ago, but then
they diverged as we set up treehouse for production).

2) move critical VMs to housetree: aslo-*, meeting, one.

3) change IPs in the DNS. (we only have 5 free IPs at the media lab)

4) find a way to keep the NFS interlink work over WAN securely and
efficiently. This will be hard, but we'll figure it out... perhaps by
trying one of those new distributed filesystems.