[Systems] Clustering Remora

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Fri Aug 28 08:16:11 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 06:15:05AM -0500, David Farning wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 1:13 AM, Bernie Innocenti<bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
> > El Thu, 27-08-2009 a las 21:38 -0500, David Farning escribió:
> >
> >> If the resources are available, the first piece to split off would be
> >> the file server portion of a.sl.o. That is just a matter of setting up
> >> a very light weight http server on a machine with good bandwidth and
> >> adjusting a single line of the a.sl.o config file.
> >
> > Great.  Does Remora provide its own mechanism for synchronizing the
> > files, or do we have to call rsync from a cron job?
>
> a.sl.o handles the syncing.  Before the bundle is marked public, via
> the editor panel, it is stored locally.  After being marked public, it
> is automatically pushed to the download server.  All syncing and
> redirecting is handled by Remora.
>
> The big win is that by moving the files off the primary server it
> reduces cache churn on the primary servers and db servers.
>
> david

> >> Hopefully, that is something wes is able to do.
> >>
> >> How about moving activites-[devel|testing].sl.o to bender or treehouse
> >> in order to move them from tier 1 to tier 2 machines?
> >
> > Sounds like a good plan to me.  Ok, let's move in that direction.
> >
> > I guess the first step would be selecting and customizing a base OS
> > image that we could unpack to quickly create new VMs.  iirc, Sascha had
> > done it already on bender.
> >
> > Whenever there's no compelling reason to prefer a particular Linux
> > distro, we could keep installing Ubuntu 64bit on our VMs for consistency
> > with Sunjammer and Solarsail.
>
> +1, Whenever you get a chance wes and I can start work on this.
>
> possible work flow:
> 1. Bernie (or vm maintainer) creates new vms.
>  a. activites-devel.sl.o
>  b. activites-devel-dl.sl.o
> 2. Bernie (or dns maintainer) points dns names at new vms.
> 3. Wes (or aslo admin) sets up stock also server - I can help point
> wes to the necessary http configs and create db backups.
> 4. Wes (or aslo admin) syncs aslo instances against correct git branch
> - will appreciate alsroots help here.

I guess we can postpone syncing w/ upstream remore and just moving aslo
to new environment first, syncing shouldn't be trivial and not messing it
w/ changing environment could be a good idea.

> repeat 1-4 with activites-testing.sl.o and activites-testing-dl sl.o

Do we really need separate vms for -{devel,testing}, -{devel,testing}-dl
I think for all these 4 servers we could use the same vm.

--
Aleksey