[Systems] Fwd: [IAEP] Wiki.sugarlabs spammers

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 10:12:27 EDT 2009

This is a known pattern seen recently on both w.l.o and w.sl.o.  Creation of
new users with names in the pattern "Buy {drugname}" and the population of
their userpages with spammy links.  Walter has gone through and deleted the
offending user pages, I went and added some infinite blocks on those users
as "unacceptable user name" just as a precaution.  Hoiwever there is a very
large possible namespace for the spammers to use, so this may occur again.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what else can be done other than to be vigilant
on wiki-patrol.  I'm not sure whether these are created by a script/bot or
by hand.  The timing of new pages being created is slow enough it could be a
human, in which case better CAPTCHA on user creation wouldn't help.

Possibly a counter vandalism bot of the sort that some run on WP might help,
but I'm no expert there.

cjl