[Systems] [support.osuosl.org #5554] Development and test environments

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Wed Dec 10 18:03:29 EST 2008

Lance Albertson via RT wrote:
> On Wed Dec 10 14:53:11 2008, bernie at codewiz.org wrote:
>> we'd like to start doing our experiments away from the developers
>> production instance, which seems to be well supported by rails.
>
> I already created the test/dev databases. See the database.yml on the
> production. I probably should make separate db users if you're actually
> going to be using it in that manner. I didn't initially since I wasn't
> sure if you were.

A separate db user wouldn't hurt, but it's also not necessary: we
trust ourselves not to intentionally screw the production database
from the test environment.

> Created but with how I have things setup you'll have to do a git
> checkout to make apache happy. I have symlinks setup to make
> apache/gitorious happy.

Ok, I'll create git repositories for our customizations on
gitorious.org, push our current production code there, then check out
the development and test versions from there.

We could also host our own fork locally, but we might have better
interaction with upstream by going to the Gitorious web site.

> Will you need to have the search daemon running
> for those sites as well? I'll have to fire those up individually as
> well.

I don't think it's needed for now.

> That reminds me, I should give you sudo access to start/stop that
> (i'll do that later today hopefully).

Oh, yes please.

>> Also, perhaps it would make sense to have separate POSIX accounts for
>> the test and dev environments, along with separate sandboxes in
>> /var/lib/gitorious-{test,dev}.
>
> I created gittest and gitdev and gave you access to su as them as well.

Ok, I made easy aliases to get there:

alias gitorious='sudo su - gitorious'
alias gittest='sudo su - gittest'
alias gitdev='sudo su - gitdev'

> Yup! You will probably have to reload/restart apache after you do a git
> clone for both sites. You might hit some odd issues too with suexec, so
> just ping me on irc if it doesn't work.

I'll try it shortly....

--
   // Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/