[Systems] [IAEP] Honeypot

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Mon Dec 1 19:28:37 EST 2008

Ivan Krstić wrote:
> [-iaep]
>
> On Dec 1, 2008, at 11:45 PM, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
>> ☞ Hardware: I'm oriented towards an HP ProLiant DL180 G5.
>>   It's a 2U with 8 3.5" SATA/SAS bays and quad core Xeon.
>>   All for $1200 + memory + disks.  To save on costs, we'll
>>   get 2x1TB 7200RPM SATA drives and only 2 or 4GB of RAM;
>
> Going below 4GB RAM for a machine hosting VMs is not a good idea.
> Springing for 8GB is a good investment, if the RAM is bought from a
> 3rd party store.

Those robbers want $100 per GB.  The DL180 wants DDR2 PC-5300
_registered_ DIMMs, which as usual are hard to find at local PC stores.

Any idea?

> With the first machine called solarsail, the second should surely be
> called sunjammer:
>
>      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunjammer>

:-)

/me pats his Arthur C. Clarke books (yes, I have them with me here!)

--
   // Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/
 \X/  Sugar Labs       - http://www.sugarlabs.org/