[sugar-sur] [IAEP] [Sugar-devel] New ASLO Project Definition

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress en gmail.com
Jue Mayo 18 21:24:36 EDT 2017

Dear Jatin,

Welcome to the Sugar Labs community, When reworking ASLO (a very
valuable project), please do keep internationalization (i18n) and
localization (L10n) in mind.  You may or may not know that we do host
PO files for L10n of NewASLO on our Pootle translation server:

https://translate.sugarlabs.org/projects/NewAslo/

We currently have very complete coverage in the following languages:
Swedish, Spanish, Russian, Guaraní (Paraguay), English (United
Kingdom), English, Dutch, Danish, Catalan, Albanian, Igbo.  Obviously
the fewer un-necessary UI string changes, the better we will be in
terms of localizing the new product of your work,  The Translation
Team will obviously take care of any strings that must be changed to
produce a better ASLO, but changes for the sake of changes can
hopefully be avoided if the existing strings serve the intended
purpose.

Having the Spanish translation complete in a production instance is
probably more important than any other language given the number of
Spanish-speaking users we typically want to reach, but as FOSS, if
you're going to accommodate more than one language,  you might as well
make it easy for all of them.  When you get ready to go-live with the
new ASLO service, we'd obviously love to have the chance (a week or
two of string freeze) to catch up with your work and make sure what
gets deployed reaches our key audiences in their native language(s).

Laura Vargas would be a fine guide to i18n/L10n practices in Sugar
Labs, but if you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me and
I'll try to help, I'll probably be the one to contact about grabbing a
new POT template from your repository and uploading it to Pootle for
the localizers to work on, as well as generating the pull request when
they have completed their work on the specific language's PO file.

Looking forward to seeing your work blossom.

cjl