[sugar-sur] [Sugar-devel] [wiki bug] Roadmap Sugar Labs - Ambiguity detected on how to make Decisions

James Cameron quozl en laptop.org
Lun Mayo 8 16:20:05 EDT 2017

On Mon, May 08, 2017 at 06:28:00AM -0500, Laura Vargas wrote:
> > Please instead build trust.
>
> Interesting point of view. Still, please elaborate in this
> suggestion. How to achieve this?

As there is only one board member asking this question, I'm inclined
to be brief.  ;-)  I don't feel I will be heard.

I ask board members to be more intentional.  To decide on their
own individual behalf to resolve conflicts and build consensus.  To
communicate more frequently, either privately between individuals,
privately within the board, or publically.  To track and measure how
their communication is received.  To identify conflict and reveal it.
To try different communication media to resolve conflict.

It isn't easy.

> It's sounds like the chair has the largest role on making procedures
> work...

That's up to the board.

It may be helpful for the board to select a meeting chairperson.

"But we already have Walter!" is an anticipated response; but it isn't
obvious from the outside reading of logs or Wiki that everyone thinks
this, or knows what a chair does.

> Thanks for your feedback.

I'm a board member of several organisations.

A few months ago I attended a corporate governance training,
facilitated by a trainer from the Australian Institute of Company
Directors.  I've still got the notes, but they are licensed in a way
that prevents my republishing them verbatim.  There are similar
organisations in other countries.  It's not cheap, costs to me were of
the order of $US 500 in fees, travel, and lost time.  I feel it has
been worth it.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/