[sugar-sur] [IAEP] Open Badges

Laura Vargas laura en somosazucar.org
Sab Nov 19 09:29:57 EST 2016

Hello and thanks to everyone interested on the subject,

I wasn't aware of this efforts in progress of the Rochester Institute of
Technology and the Teaching Open Source.  I will read in detail.

Still, with the Fedora example my idea was to submit to community
consideration an strategic implementation of open badges for community
building, like Fedora.

For example, Fedora uses:

- Content Badges: For contributions made in the form of documentation

- Development Badges: For contributions made to the code(s)

- Quality Badge: Equivalent could be a *Sugar Testing Badge*... (we could
start with this one?)

Of course this is a larger project and would require strong support from
Sugar Labs.

If the Fedora folks could do it, I feel almost ashamed we haven't... :D

Regards

> We've got a small group in the class this coming semester.  If the skill
> set isn't in the class we can look at other avenues as well.
>
> Class, etc won't start til end of January.  SL community should certainly
> dive in to the previous work to figure out what's needed.  Might be enough
> has been done in the past it can be moved forward before classes start.  If
> not, they should at least generate a wish list for what needs to be done
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Nov 19, 2016, at 2:26 AM, Remy DeCausemaker <decause en gmail.com> wrote:
>
> /me emerges from a long lurking state
>
> Once upon a time, the folks in the RIT HFOSS program built an activity for
> viewing open badges locally on the XO called Sash:
>
> GitHub.com/fossrit/sash
>
> They also built open badges into 2 games, lemonade stand and skytime:
>
> GitHub.com/fossrit/lemonade-stand
> https://github.com/FOSSRIT/SkyTime
>
> dzho is the current professor, but it's been a few years since those code
> paths were run.
>
> The Fedora badges dashboard is called tahrir, and source can be found here:
>
> GitHub.com/Fedora-infra/tahrir
>
> Hope this helps,
> --RemyD.
> On Nov 19, 2016 02:06, "Samson Goddy" <samsongoddy en sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>
>> sounds like a good idea!
>>

>> Samson Goddy
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 4:23 AM, Laura Vargas <laura en somosazucar.org>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Here is a link to Fedora's Open Badge dashboard:
>>>
>>> https://badges.fedoraproject.org/
>>>
>>> Should SL consider to adopt a similar strategy?
>>>

>>> --
>>> Laura V.
>>> I&D SomosAZUCAR.Org
>>>
>>> Happy Learning!