[sugar-sur] [IAEP] [SLOBS] Future of Sugar Labs

Tony Anderson tony_anderson en usa.net
Vie Dic 2 00:57:08 EST 2016

Hi, All

I certainly appreciate the attention my email has received. However, I
am disappointed that the responses do not reflect my main concern. I
beleive
Sugar and Sugar Labs will fade away if it continues to be perceived as
the software that comes on an XO. I believe Sugar Labs and Sugar should
be perceived as in a similar relationship as Red Hat is to Fedora and
Canonical is to Ubuntu.

We need to have releases of Sugar: Long-term-support, latest stable, and
developer. These releases should be downloadable as a single image which
can be installed from a livecd usb stick generated by a dd command. The
starting point is probably SOAS - which is not now installable without a
technically difficult use of livecd tools in a Fedora 24 installation
(which is difficult since Fedora provides Fedora 25).

As an evaluation of Sugar Lab's success is that the Mexican deployment
presented in the OLPC SF Summit chooses to use Sugar instead of UberMix.
(http://www.ubermix.org/).

We should be able to speak about Sugar deployments as we now speak about
OLPC deployments. Sugar should be available for PCs and mobile devices
with xo being considered as one of the supported environments.

If no action is taken except to discuss future academic papers about
Sugar Labs and SLOB elections, I think both will become totally
irrelevant. Current OLPC deployments will choose new hardware to replace
XOs and install on this hardware Windows, Raspbian, Chrome OS, UberMix
or other readily available and supported alternatives. Sugar will join
APL and Cobol in computer history.

Tony