[sugar-sur] [IAEP] SL 2016 Annual Budget / Presupuesto Proyecto Sugar Labs año 2016

Dave Crossland dave en lab6.com
Dom Abr 17 18:49:16 EDT 2016

Hi!

Today I was reading the proposed budget for Wikimedia Foundation, which has
been undergoing some leadership problems in the last few years - cf.
mollywhite.net/wikimedia-timeline/ - and I hope this might also be
interesting for those considering the Sugar Labs budget.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Annual_Plan/2016-2017/draft?banner=Strategy2016_A_Desktop

I think the $80k surplus is small. Therefore I suggest that the SL 2016
budget only be spent on

(a) essential activities, and

(b) activities that will increase the surplus within a given timeframe.

Examples of (a) might include paying rents on servers, trademark
registration fees, or other payments required to continue holding existing
resources.

Examples of (b) might include buying stock to be sold at a sustaining
markup (a set of XO-4s, or T shirts); or translating Sugar into a language
which will enable grants or other income to be given to further expand
development by the community using that language.

Cheers
Dave