[somos-azucar] [IAEP] Gamification in Sugar Network

Aleksey Lim alsroot en sugarlabs.org
Vie Jun 8 00:12:44 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 07, 2012 at 07:14:27AM -0400, STEPHEN JACOBS wrote:
> The documentation doesn't really address the context, purpose, goals or implementation of gamification beyond the fact that there should be hooks in the sugar network to support it.
>
> The seemingly arbitrary metaphor (sun, star, moon etc ) and the reference to points suggests that this is abstracted away from what the user actually does in the system as does the reference to points without a discussion of what they are for or how they work.
>
> Research shows that Gamification that is not thoughtfully designed and implemented  may have a bump of interest in the short term but gets ignored, becomes an annoyance, or actually a disincentive to participation in the longer term.
>
> IMO, If the Sugar community wants this network to be gamified it needs more thinking and design work before that functionality is implemented.

Sorry if my original post about gamification was misleading, Sugar
Network is not designed to implement gamification obligatory. Sugar
Network is exactly about core functionality I mentioned in my previous
post.

For sure, gamification requires more thinking and system approach. And
for me it is absolutely clear, it should be pluggable feature in Sugar
Network (in some cases it will work as supposed, in others it will only
an obstacle to do regular daily work).

--
Aleksey