[somos-azucar] [IAEP] Gamification in Sugar Network

Laura Vargas laura en somosazucar.org
Jue Jun 7 18:37:48 EDT 2012

2012/6/7 STEPHEN JACOBS <itprofjacobs en gmail.com>

> The documentation doesn't really address the context, purpose, goals or
> implementation of gamification beyond the fact that there should be hooks
> in the sugar network to support it.
>
> The seemingly arbitrary metaphor (sun, star, moon etc ) and the reference
> to points suggests that this is abstracted away from what the user actually
> does in the system as does the reference to points without a discussion of
> what they are for or how they work.
>
> Research shows that Gamification that is not thoughtfully designed and
> implemented  may have a bump of interest in the short term but gets
> ignored, becomes an annoyance, or actually a disincentive to participation
> in the longer term.
>
> IMO, If the Sugar community wants this network to be gamified it needs
> more thinking and design work before that functionality is implemented.
>
> Sent from my iPhone

As we plan to start activating the network on a local "controlled" pilot we
could certainly use some help defining the functionality of basic
mechanisms for initial iteration.

On Jun 7, 2012, at 5:26 AM, Aleksey Lim <alsroot en sugarlabs.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 12:04:36PM -0500, Sebastian Silva wrote:
>> /* en español abajo */
>> Hi,
>> One proposal to evidence the value of "interactions" within the Sugar
Network
>> user interface is to count, for each context, and to show them in the
interface
>> as such:
>>
>> 1 interaction = 1 "Sun" badge
>>
>> This is to continue with the icons "Star" - "Moon" - "Sun".
>>
>> To better understand this in reference to Sugar Network, with
"interactions" we
>> mean contributions of feedback or support resources users provide within
the
>> network.
>>
>> Not every interaction has been implemented graphically yet but for
reference
>> here are the high level conceptual documentation:
>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Network/Concept
>>
>> And the low level Objects Model that sustains it at this time:
>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Platform_Team/Sugar_Network/Objects_model
>>
>> Feedback at this point is appreciated as we prepare to launch at scale.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Sebastian
>
> In fact, regarding Sugar Network, my original post was rather about
> popping up this subject (and it seems I missed the fast that it is
> already was well discussed) and less about doing something particular.
>
> But for Sugar Network in particular. I'm sure the core functionality
> that SN is assumed to provide (content/social/support network to connect
> offline and online people) is much more important than any [current]
> trend. And before trying to implement such high level features like
> gamification moments, SN should be mature enough to do its core
> functionality on reliable basis.
>
> The problem with gammification (as was already mentioned), it is just
> one of possible ways and have its own props and contras. And it will be
> more useful to design SN in the way that there is core functionality
> and a bunch of high level solutions that implement one of education
> metaphor.
>
> In fact, there is already such model when there is a SN server and
> it is possible to implement any client application. But I think it will
> be more useful to have default client application that provides only
> core functionality (i.e., pure technical possibility without forcing
> particular model). As a useful addition, such default client application
> might support applying a kind of skins on top of it to implement
> particular education metaphor (I guess it will be useful during the
> educational process to switch between several models).
>
> --
> Aleksey

Laura V.
I&D SomosAZUCAR.Org