[somos-azucar] SugarCamp Lima 2011 tickets request

Laura Vargas laura en somosazucar.org
Dom Oct 30 01:54:04 EDT 2011

2011/10/30 Walter Bender <walter.bender en gmail.com>

> On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 12:55 AM, Sebastian Silva
> <sebastian en somosazucar.org> wrote:
> > Hi Walter
> > Thanks for sharing your concerns.
> > I'm cc'ing IAEP as there is no reason for confidentiality.
>
> I have been responding to the threads you guys started... hadn't
> noticed that they had not been inclusive. Glad to see that now they
> are.
>

> > I hope I can convince you of the importance of supporting
> > the Local Lab in the articulation of an effort to involve the
> > wider society in the selection of software and content their
> > children get with their machines.
>
> I need no convincing of that.
>

> > We have heard about lots of machine downtime related to the
> > activation / "security" system. Peru is in an offline context:
> > "activation lease" is distributed on USB keys for an entire year,
> > instead of the week they were designed to. This means in the
> > beginning of the year your computer does not work until
> > some USB key arrives to the most remote locations of Peru.
>
> Not sure what you mean by "designed to". As far as the leasing system,
> it is up to the deployment to make these decisions. I applaud your
> efforts to improve upon the situation, but I think it is outside of
> the context of Sugar Labs itself.
>

> > In these conditions the "security" system has basically become
> > DRM at the service of Education Ministries. For this reason our
> > group is going to recommend the disabling of the security system.
>
> I don't particularly agree with that characterization, but again, I am
> in personally favor of advocating the unlocking of machines where it
> is safe to do so.
>

> > We believe each Local Lab should be in the technical
> > conditions to provide services to their deployments and find
> > sustainibility in this - so this is the ultimate strategic objective of
> > the event.
>
> I also applaud that goal, although I don't yet understand your
> strategy for achieving it.
>

> > We will be holding a panel on the second day of the Sugar Camp
> > Lima 2011:
> > "10 recomendaciones para el proyecto Una Laptop Por Niño",
> > to which you are heartfully invited to participate.
>
> Recommendations are of course always welcome. I don't know what your
> 10 are, but I am sure many of us in the community have some to
> contribute.
>

> > I hope the information contained here and in the following
> > answers are enough for SLOBs to take a vote on the two
> > tickets requested.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Sebastian
> > PS: my answers below
> >
> > 2011/10/29, Walter Bender <walter.bender en gmail.com>:
> moderation!

constructive discussion. The IADB study is just a representative sample of
the Total Deployment. Lack of accuracy is a strong weakness that needs to
addressed by the Deployment Locally.

> >> As I understand it, they have a new image in the works. Is the plan to
> >> work with them on improving it or to replace it with something else?
> >> If the latter, what is the rationale?
> >
> > Our plan is always to try to be helpful.
> > For this project the plan is to produce an image officially supported
> > by somosAZUCAR - Sugar Labs Peru. We are always open to collaborate
> > with them on improving their 2013 release.
>
> Good to hear you will help with the 2013 release.

> >> Could you please elaborate a bit on what that means?
> >
> > I'll leave that to Laura.  :o)

Our goal is to engage in *Service Level Agreements*, with regional
deployments. Consider us as a start-up with good intentions! We hope we can
count with your support and your wisdom here at SugarCamp Lima 2011.