[Sugar-devel] GSoC 2024 : questions about wikipedia activity

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Mar 28 16:18:47 EDT 2024

The GSoC/Ideas-2024.md "Refactor the Wikipedia Activity to generate
plain-language summaries"
https://github.com/sugarlabs/GSoC/blob/master/Ideas-2024.md#refactor-the-wikipedia-activity-to-generate-plain-language-summaries

says "the Wikipedia activity is designed to help teachers extract
content from the Wikipedia in order to create lesson plans".

Actually, that feature set is implemented by the InfoSlicer activity.
https://github.com/sugarlabs/infoslicer

The Wikipedia activity is an offline viewer for Wikipedia pages.
https://github.com/sugarlabs/wikipedia-activity

It does not make sense to use the Wikipedia activity when online,
instead use the Browse activity, which is the web browser.

The workflow for teachers to use the Wikipedia activity is to run the
extraction process across the most popular articles, filter to remove
sensitive articles, and then generate a (very large) Sugar activity
bundle, which the students in a class can install.  It isn't used for
lesson plans, but as a general offline cache, especially for students
that have no internet while taking their class laptop home.  A very
special use case.

If the aim of the GSoC idea is to use AI to craft lesson plans from
Wikipedia content, then I suggest using the Browse activity instead.