[Sugar-devel] Get Books ready to release

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sat Mar 9 23:03:29 EST 2024

Thanks James.  I've done the remaining steps.  My reply in context below.

Hopefully I've done everything, let me know if I've missed something.

On Sat, Mar 09, 2024 at 07:51:08PM -0600, James Simmons wrote:
> Here is my checklist for Get Books Activity:
>
> Checklist - maintainer
>
> * check version of latest tarball release in [1]download.sugarlabs.org/sources/
> sucrose/fructose/ or [2]download.sugarlabs.org/sources/honey/,
>
>     Latest version is 19.
>
> * check for a release version git tag, e.g. v34,
>
>     There are no Git tags for this Activity

After the translations update (see below) I did "git tag v20" then
"git push --tags".

> *  correlate with activity_version metadata in activity/[3]activity.info,
>
>     Updated to version 20
>
> *  look for commits after any of these, in either;
>         master branch of repository at sugarlabs,
>         any other branches,
>         any other forks,
>         orphaned repositories with the same bundle_id value, using GitHub or
> Google Search,
>         deprecated repositories at [4]git.sugarlabs.org,
>
>     Nothing like this found.
>
> * review and merge all pull requests,
>
>     I looked at the other pull requests. There were two that attempted to make
> the application\
>     work under Python 3. They ran into the same problems with feedparser.py and
> Python 3 not having
>     sgmllib that I did. I fixed those problems by using a later version (but
> not current) version
>     of feedparser that included its own version of sgmllib.

I've closed these pull requests, thanks.

> * apply all desired commits, making pull requests if review is needed,
>
>     Done
>
> * apply any [5]translate.sugarlabs.org changes, e.g. using a download script,
>     if there is a po/*.pot file, regenerate using python setup.py genpot,
> review the changes, and commit,
>     notify our translation-community manager @leonardcj if the POT file changes
> contain new or changed
>     strings,
>
>     No translated strings were affected by this update.

Some new Swedish translated strings arrived between 19 and 20, so I've
pushed them to master.

https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-tools has an activity-translations
script that I used.

> * update the README.md file if necessary,
>
>     Just did that. This required a second pull request as the first was already
> done.

Thanks, merged.

> * write release notes for the NEWS file, change the activity_version metadata
> in activity/[6]activity.info, commit, and git tag the version,
>
>     Done
>
> * update the activity documentation in the help-activity repository,
>
>     Not needed. The Activity works the same as it always did.
>
> * for activities that include a tarball release, or where Fedora or Debian
> packages may be made, create a tarball using python setup.py dist_source, and
> upload tarball to [7]download.sugarlabs.org using shell account,
>
>     I have no such account.

I did copy the tarball release to
sunjammer:/upload/sources/honey/GetBooks/ and you can see it at
https://download.sugarlabs.org/sources/honey/GetBooks/?C=M;O=D

> * create bundle using python setup.py dist_xo, and test that it can be
> installed by Browse,
>
>     I have not tested this.

I did the bundle create, but I didn't test it can be installed.

I also uploaded to
https://people.sugarlabs.org/~quozl/?C=M;O=D

> * rebase any other maintained branches or pull requests, such as those for past
> or future versions of Python, or past releases of Fedora, Ubuntu or libraries.
>
>     The other pull requests appear to be abandoned. They could be closed.

They are closed.  There are some issues open, in case you'd like to
respond to those.

> * for Python 3 Activities, copy the bundle to ~activities-v4/bundles, remove
> any other old versions of the bundle from ~activities-v4/bundles, and trigger a
> rebuild of the static site using rebuild-aslo command, verify if your bundle is
> visible on [8]https://v4.activities.sugarlabs.org . For more information, it is
> recommended to take a look at the Activities4 wiki page
>
>    I don't think this is something I have the ability to do.

I did copy the bundle to sunjammer:/srv/activities-v4/bundles/ then
ran rebuild-aslo, using my account on sunjammer.  Let me know if you'd
like an account.

After that, the https://v4.activities.sugarlabs.org site does list
GetBooks 20.

https://v4.activities.sugarlabs.org/app/org.laptop.sugar.GetBooksActivity.html