[Sugar-devel] Advice needed on sugar-runner

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 10:47:36 EST 2024

I've been preparing an old computer I just replaced as a gift for a bright
eight year old boy and his older brother. It will run Fedora 39. In
addition to the XFCE environment I want to give him a Sugar environment
with Activities.

In the process of setting this up I discovered that some of the Activities
I wrote years ago have succumbed to bit rot and needed updating. I was able
to do this, but I was disappointed to find that I could not use
sugar-runner to run the Sugar environment in a window because it had not
been maintained.

I thought I'd take a stab at getting sugar-runner working. I checked out
the project, installed all the dependencies autogen.sh asked for, updated
the scripts to use python3, then ran what looked to be a successful make
and sudo make install. Then I tried to run

sugar-runner

and I got these Python errors:

jamessimmons at unknownF4390913EB01:~$ sugar-runner
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/sugar-runner", line 28, in <module>
    gi.require_version('SugarRunner', '1.0')
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.12/site-packages/gi/__init__.py", line 126, in
require_version
    raise ValueError('Namespace %s not available' % namespace)
ValueError: Namespace SugarRunner not available

At this point I'm stuck. If any of you have any suggestions on how to
proceed I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,

James Simmons