[Sugar-devel] Draft Proposal - improve & maintain 12 sugar activities

Spandan Barve spandan567 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 06:51:59 EDT 2023

Thanks for the feedback Ibiam.

> Would the ghost lines for dots and boxes appear on mouse hover?
Yes, the lines would be drawn on hover, again to indicate where the new
line will be placed on click.

> Simulate activity sometimes crashes Sugar, what do you mean by crashing
Sugar?
I was not able to reproduce it but I do have the error saved. by crash, I
mean that the activity stops responding completely, including the stop
button and pressing CTRL+Q, I had to go back to the journal and then remove
the activity, after that I got an error in the terminal.
here is the error :   https://pastebin.com/1RcTvYHc

> too many unknowns, you mention implementing an AI but no details as to
how you intend to go about it, what data would you use?
As for the AI, I specified using the minimax algorithm to implement the AI,
which is a tree based algorithm specializing in two player games, including
othello which is what reversi is based off.
As to how I would be making the AI play the game, I would call the minimax
function to get the ideal move and then place the piece on the board by
calling the self.board_model.put_piece function of ReversiController class
and instead of toggling player like in normal mode,
the toggle_current_player function would call the minimax function.

> What new dependencies would you be adding to the activity?
No new dependencies will be required.

> for reversi activity, is collaboration working fine?
No, collaboration is not implemented for this activity

> Reset and next buttons in jumble activity not being visible, no images to
explain again.
   How can you click on them if they're not visible?
I will attach images to my proposal to explain further.
I can click them as the buttons are still there and function properly, just
that they are not visible. Again, I will attach images to elaborate

> Nutrition activity: "having premade questions" any sample of such
questions would be helpful.
I'd add a proper sample in the proposal, but it would be like for eg: A
fast food item Vs a Salad, or pizza vs a vegetable.

the proposal that I'll be making these settings optional.

>  how do you intend to "make sure".
after calling the _generate_color method of the BallsGenerator class, I'd
calculate hsp
hsp = sqrt(
    0.299 * (r * r) +
    0.587 * (g * g) +
    0.114 * (b * b)
  );
This is how hsp is calculated and if hsp is greater than 128, it means the
color is bright enough for the text to be visible.
If it is not, I'd call the function again until the condition is satisfied.
This approach is better than generating the rgb values in the
_generate_color function ranging from 128 to 255 because calculating hsp
provides room for more colors than this approach.

Finally, Thanks for the review and I'll be adding all these to the proposal
as well, and I'll attach images wherever needed, as you suggested when
talking about flip activity.
I will soon  be uploading the updated proposal