[Sugar-devel] Compatibility report on latest Debian-based sugar live build - Xorg fails to load due to missing firmware

Alex Perez aperez at alexperez.com
Sun Jan 17 17:03:10 EST 2021

James,

I booted up the latest Sugar-live-build image, which I'd downloaded from
http://people.sugarlabs.org/~quozl/sugar-live-build/ and written to a
USB stick, and booted it up in an HP-branded terminal from ~2012, which
works perfectly fine with the latest Fedora SoaS images.

During early boot, the kernel printed a message which stated,
"drm:radeon_pci_probe [radeon]] *ERROR* radeon kernel modesetting for
R600 or later requires firmware installed." followed by a line which
said "See http://wiki.debian.org/Firmware for information about missing
firmware"

Furthermore, Xorg also fails to subsequently initialize in the fallback
fbdev mode, with Xorg reporting "Cannot run in framebuffer omde. Please
specify busIDs for all framebuffer devices", resulting in the machine
sitting at a Linux console forever.

Simply bundling the 'firmware-amd-graphics' package from the
firmware-nonfree repo when you build the Live image would mean the image
would work correctly on a vastly larger amount of hardware, out of the box.

I would encourage you to take it one step further, and bundle the
firmware-linux-nonfree metapackage, which will include firmware for
things like Marvell wireless cards, Intel wireless cards, Atheros
wireless cards (both USB and integrated/PCI/PCIe)

Thanks,
Alex Perez