[Sugar-devel] Sugar Sponsor

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Feb 9 16:33:18 EST 2021

On Tue, Feb 09, 2021 at 06:49:49PM +0000, D. Joe wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 04, 2021 at 08:58:42AM -0500, Ian Dudderar wrote:
> > Greetings!
> > I am working with the computer science department of the College
> > of Charleston.  For our class, me and my group members are
> > required to provide input on an open source project and we have
> > chosen sugar. We would like to contribute in any way possible, and
> > were wondering if we might be able to get access to a service
> > account. The website states we would need a sponsor from a
> > member. How can we get one?
>
> Hi,
>
> When you say "the website" could you be more specific? Sugar has a
> rather sprawling web presence some of which is more currently
> maintained than other parts.
>
> For instance, on what I consider the "main" page,
> https://www.sugarlabs.org a search reveals no instances of the word
> "sponsor" at all.
>
> I'd suggest, if you're truly open to offering any of a variety of
> contributions that you take a look at the Join Us section from the
> top of that page and see if something there might be helpful.
>
> Looking through each page available from that menu I also did not
> find mention of sponsors. I don't doubt that there is mention of
> them somewhere (eg, accounts on sugarlabs machines to which James
> refers) but it's not clear to me why you'd drill all the way down to
> asking after that.

We also got a request via the sysadmin@ alias, but as the request was
made public on the mailing list I felt it was better to respond on the
mailing list.

https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Service/Account is probably where Ian's
"service account" comes from.  It's an easy mistake to make;
assuming a Wiki page title is well understood across the sprawling web
presence.

The account types could be Wiki, Shell, or Mail.

(At the moment, people need shell accounts to publish Python 3 activity
releases to v4.activities.sugarlabs.org.  We could set up accounts
with preloaded commands in authorized_keys to do this, eventually.
But for the moment I've been avoiding creating accounts and doing the
releases myself.  Ian hasn't made any commits to activities yet, so I
didn't think it likely he wanted a shell account.)

> --
> D. Joe

James Cameron
https://quozl.linux.org.au/