[Sugar-devel] Gradual reorganizing of Music Blocks codebase

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 15:44:09 EDT 2020

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 10:39 AM Anindya Kundu <anindyaak007 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm considering reorganizing the modules and cleaning up the complete
> codebase in a gradual manner - something I briefly worked on, during this
> summer. It is to my understanding that Music Blocks was built
> progressively, and there's still scope for a lot of additions, but I've
> observed some significant issues.
>
> I feel the user experience isn't quite appealing. For instance, the
> application feels bulky, the mouse interaction isn't very good, there are
> UI lapses here and there, etc. As for the code, I feel we are lacking
> structure. The JS modules have become disorganized, there's lots of
> deprecated code spread throughout, and the scripts do not stick to a proper
> convention.
>
> Many times it becomes a challenge to figure out the source of a bug or
> add/modify some code. Also, it is quite easy to generate an obscure bug
> while fixing something else. Moreover, several components are convoluted
> among themselves. I've only worked on the MVC refactoring of a few
> components, but I believe it should be done all throughout for it to bear
> advantages.
>
> Therefore, I'm planning on rebuilding a structure under the hood,
> primarily for better code management, but also to enhance the performance
> of the application. Any thoughts or suggestions?
>

> *Anindya Kundu*

Sounds great.

Before you jump into coding maybe you can create a master issue to track
proposed changes and progress.

(One obvious TODO would be to rid the code of its dependency on createjs,
which seems to be abandonware.)

FYI, I am working on the dictionary block PR, which needs some serious
attention. I do think we could use it to greatly simplify the Ensemble code.

--
Walter Bender
Sugar Labs