[Sugar-devel] Maintaining the sugar-live-build

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Oct 26 20:10:39 EDT 2020

I'm used to it.  OLPC faced this same type of deprecation threshold
back in 2014 and 2015 with loss of AMD Geode instructions used in the
XO-1 laptop.  It wasn't only the kernel, it was also the WebKit
JavaScript JIT compiler.  There was nothing in compiler run-time that
did check if the instructions were available, and so the Browse
activity did stop with a segmentation fault or invalid instruction.

Sugar Live Build was made to (a) demonstrate the Live Build
technology, (b) support students that Google was bringing us, and (c)
provide a minimum viable environment for development in a VM accessed
over SSH.  The degree of difficulty in using it was a function of the
feedback received; and we didn't receive useful feedback from people
who could not write an ISO image to a USB drive.

Yes, Sugar is becoming almost unusable by the majority's standards,
because those standards are also changing over time, and Sugar is not
changing with them.

Sugarizer provides a system that meets the majority's standards; just
install the app.

The majority is always right.  That's what it means to be in the
majority.  Like Martin, we should look for opportunities to serve the
minorities.  I'm glad Martin is taking on this duty for 32-bit Intel
systems.

James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/