[Sugar-devel] Regarding GSoC tasks in Sugarizer

Utkarsh Raj Singh u.rajsingh2503 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 05:37:08 EDT 2020

Hello,

The ideas page for GSoC 2020 has several ideas for Sugarizer, and all of
them recommend the use of Vue.js, as necessary. While this is a progressive
decision, I would want to discuss a few points:

Frontend libraries provide many standard implementations out of the box.
This will help us take many critical decisions automatically - Vue.js will
already do it for you. This will save a lot of time and help us maintain
industry relevant implementations. And if given the choice, I will
definitely vouch for Vue.js as I personally like it.

That being said, we also know that most of the activities are in VanillaJS.
And while this takes more time to develop, we have more fine grained
control over the DOM updation, performance and several other factors. Also,
if we utilise one particular framework, and that framework is to depreciate
in the future, we will possibly have to port to some prevailing framework.

For almost every aspect of an application can be developed both in
VanillaJS and Vue.js, I am a little confused as to what to prefer. Should
we make Vue.js based activities, or should we stay with VanillaJS? In other
words, to what extent should we mix the two? I would appreciate if the
community can guide me here.

Thanks,
Utkarsh