[Sugar-devel] Number of proposals in gsoc

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Mar 15 18:08:09 EDT 2020

Thanks for asking.

As Walter says, you may submit more than one proposal, as it says
here;
https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/faq#can_i_submit_more_than_one_proposal

We have a list of project ideas to help you write a proposal.
https://github.com/sugarlabs/GSoC/blob/master/Ideas-2020.md

Your proposal(s) may include any number of our project ideas; zero,
one, or more.  Last year, most proposals contained one of our ideas,
but a small number of proposals contained an entirely new idea.

In prior years we have offered a slot to a student using a different
idea to what was in the student's proposal.

The number of proposals, or ideas in a proposal, will not give you any
advantage other than showing us your understanding of more than one
idea.

The number of proposals should not have anything to do with our
assessment, but it will cost us more time.  A copy and paste proposal,
with only the idea changed, will be easy for us to assess.  However,
it could be simpler for you to add the many project ideas to your
single proposal.

See also
https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/faq#what_does_a_good_student_proposal_look_like

See also
https://google.github.io/gsocguides/student/writing-a-proposal.html#general-notes

And we have a list of what we are looking for in a perfect student
https://github.com/sugarlabs/GSoC#right-fit

My assessment will be based about 50% on proposal, and 50% on right
fit.

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 12:51:18AM +0530, Chandan Prakash wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> This is regarding to the number of proposals we need to submit for gsoc 2020 in
> sugarlabs. I came to know that a participant can submit 3 proposals .Is it good
> to submit all 3 proposals?
> How many proposals do we need to submit in sugarlabs in gsoc 2020 to get
> selected?
> I also think that the number of proposals had nothing to do with the selection
> . It is the content and contribution that matter.But if anyone is unable to
> decide between projects , is it good to submit more than one proposal in
> sugarlabs?

James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/