[Sugar-devel] Proposal: moving "assisting mentors" back to the community role for GSoC 2020

Chihurumnaya Ibiam ibiamchihurumnaya at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 09:11:14 EDT 2020

A mentor is supposed to be someone who is part of the community and in
Stephanie's words  "...you definitely need people who are integrated into
your community who can help welcome the students as the point of the
program is to keep them involved in your communities post GSoC."

All the assisting mentors are part of our community and can help welcome
students, they have experience in certain areas that can help
the students. The idea of the assisting mentors was to help in "non
technical" situations or to whatever extent they can,
personally I don't agree with the tags but here we are.

Stephanie also said  "Not everyone should be a mentor. You want someone who
can teach and guide the student." and all
the assisting mentors can do that to a certain extent.
We know them, they're members of the community and they've shown their
expertise at one point or the other.
They may not have all the technical skills required for a project but
they're certainly useful and I don't see a reason why they should
be removed from being a mentor.

If at any point the org admins deem it fit to remove any mentor because of
lack of participation then they
can do that.

--

Ibiam Chihurumnaya