[Sugar-devel] Release git packages for Sugar

Srevin Saju srevin03 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 04:19:03 EDT 2020

Yes, I can tell what is tested and what not:
* I tried adding a new.py in all possible directories and ran sugar and
sugar-runner, but I was not able to crash sugar.
(#893)
* Tested many non sugar-fructose activities.
* Wasn't able to connect two local sugar computers using jabber server
configuration.
* changing ttys while sugar is running causes a glitch on the sugar xserver

I tested more of activities than that if sugar core. The activities I
reviewed are those of new pull requests, and were able to find new issues
of the same. I guess until someone comes with a new PR on sugar core, I
might not go in depth into it.

PS: *-git packages are a mirror of the GitHub master branch of the
repository as a form of package. The 0.116 tag has over 50+ issues which is
fixed in PRs on the master. As we are not tracking more features or
freezing a repository and fixing releases annually, the 0.116 build is
exactly almost stable.
And, I have not released a stable version since the last report to the
mailing list.

An inspirational software release system from KDE Plasma Desktop
Environment:
Plasma just released 5.18 a week ago. over the last six months, they had
been testing 5.18+ by developers again and again. The important bug fixes
were released as release candidates. This is beneficial in two fold: Users
find issues in 5.17 and report it, and developers try to make 5.18 the best
before releasing it for public use. Currently they are testing 5.19 with
more features but unstable.

Is it possible to implement this versioning in sugar core repositories
shortly. I am not sure if this is currently possible, or if this method is
already tried, but I am putting it in the mailing list for reconsideration
(if any)