[Sugar-devel] Idea Discussion for Improve and Maintain 25 sugar activities

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Mar 11 19:35:56 EDT 2020

Hello Ayush,

You are correct in your assessment of the activities; there are many
with good learning values that are no longer available because of
insufficient maintenance.

You can certainly refer to those three pull requests in your proposal,
for context, or in a list of pull requests you intend to complete.
When you do reference, include the link, the author, and the reviewers
so far.  When you plan work, describe whether the pull request is near
complete or has a long way to go.  Remember to properly credit the
existing author in any new work.

However, don't spend too much time planning the work into a project
schedule or against the evaluation timeline.  We don't value this kind
of scheduling or planning, because we know that (a) there is always
more to do than can ever be done, (b) the only way to know how long
something takes is to do it, and (c) falling short of a schedule
may cause hasty work which brings us problems later.

Plan so that the whole development process through to an activity
release occurs within hours if there are no obstructions.

Remember our goal; we want to find someone who is a right fit for
Sugar Labs and who will spend many years with us in a voluntary
capacity.  This section was recently added to our GSoC welcome;

https://github.com/sugarlabs/GSoC#right-fit

By the way, I'm not sure if you received my previous mail
http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2020-February/057801.html
as there was no reply to close out the thread.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/