[Sugar-devel] Most Popular Activity Stats

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Mar 10 02:13:09 EDT 2020

Afraid not.  We don't have reliable statistics.

Here's a possible prioritisation though;

1.  the Sugarizer activities,

- quantity 46,

- all written in JavaScript,

- are bundled with Sugarizer,

- are in the Sugarizer repository in the directory "activities",
  branch "dev",

2.  the Sugar Fructose activity set,

- quantity 11, (Browse, Calculate, Chat, Image Viewer, Jukebox, Log,
  Pippy, Read, Terminal, Turtle Art, Write),

- all written in Python,

- each is in a separate GitHub repository,

- tar.bz2 files
  https://download.sugarlabs.org/sources/sucrose/fructose/

- are maintained in synchronisation with Sugar releases,

3.  the Sugar Honey activity set,

- quantity 83, (Abacus, AmazonasTortuga, AnalyzeJournal, Bounce,
  BulletinBoard, Cardsort, CartoonBuilder, Chart, Clock, ColorDeducto,
  Colors, CookieSearch, Deducto, Develop, Dimensions, Distance,
  Erikos, Finance, Flip, FlipSticks, FollowMe, FotoToon,
  FractionBounce, GCompris, GeoGebra, GetBooks, GetIABooks, Gnuchess,
  Help, IRC, Implode, InfoSlicer, JokeMachine, Labyrinth, LetterMatch,
  Letters, LocoSugar, Maze, Measure, Memorize, Moon, MusicKeyboard,
  Napier, Numbers, Nutrition, Paint, Paths, PeriodicTable, Physics,
  Poll, Portfolio, Pukllanapac, ReadETexts, Recall, Record,
  Reflection, Ruler, SimpleEnglishWikipedia, SliderPuzzle, Sliderule,
  Snow, SocialCalc, Speak, Spirolaterals, StarChart, StopWatch, Story,
  StoryBuilder, TamTam*, Triples, TurtleArtMini, TurtleConfusion,
  TurtlePond, TypingTurtle, ViewSlides, Visualmatch, Words, Yupana,
  xoEditor)

- most written in Python,

- most are in a separate GitHub repository,

- some (e.g. TamTam*) are multiple activity repositories,

- some (e.g. TurtleArt derivatives) have been branches of
  repositories,

- tar.bz2 files
  https://download.sugarlabs.org/sources/honey/

- many are maintained,

Then there are the packaged collections; Fedora, Debian, and OLPC OS.

4.  the Fedora packaged activities,

- quantity between 10 and 30 (I've not checked lately),

- are included in the Sugar on a Stick release when Fedora does a
  release,

- package name pattern is sugar-NAME where NAME is the shortened
  activity name,

5.  the Debian packaged activities,

- quantity 12, (the Fructose set, plus IRC and Memorize),

- package name pattern is sugar-NAME-activity,

6.  the OLPC OS 13.2.x bundled activities,

- quantity 32, (Browse-157.5, Calculate-45.1, Chat-85.1, Clock-21,
  Distance-36, GetBooks-19, Help-20.1, ImageViewer-64.1, Implode-19.1,
  Jukebox-34, Log-40.1, Maze-28.2, Measure-53.1, Memorize-55.1,
  Moon-18.1, MusicKeyboard-8.10, Paint-69, Physics-34, Pippy-72.3,
  Read-118.2, Record-104, Scratch-25, SimpleEnglishWikipedia-37.1,
  Speak-52.1, StopWatch-20.2, TamTamEdit-68, TamTamJam-68,
  TamTamMini-68, TamTamSynthLab-68, Terminal-46.2, TurtleBlocks-218,
  Write-100),

- restricted to Python 2, tested on Fedora 18,

- maintained by me as separate branches in the same repositories as
  the Fructose or Honey set, with patches backported from the master
  branches,

- listed on wiki.laptop.org,

7.  the OLPC OS 18.04 bundled activities,

- quantity 38, (Abacus, Browse, Calculate, Chart, Chat, Clock,
  Develop, Finance, Find Words, Fototoon, Fraction Bounce, Gears, Get
  Books, Help, Image Viewer, Implode, Jukebox, Letters, Log, Maze,
  Measure, Memorize, Moon, Music Keyboard, Paint, Physics, Pippy,
  Poll, Portfolio, Read, Record, Wikipedia, Speak, Stopwatch, Story,
  Terminal, Words, and Write),

- restricted to Python 2,

- maintained by me as separate branches in the same repositories as
  the Fructose or Honey set,

- packaged by me in .deb format for updates using APT,

8.  the OLPC OS 20.04 bundled activities,

- same as above, less three activities that are not yet ported to
  Python 3; (Get Books, Help, and Wikipedia),

Then there are the download counters from activities.sugarlabs.org;

- we're not sure how reliable the counters are,

- the site is only used for Python 2 activities.

It is a mess.  Hope that helps.

On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 09:36:47PM -0700, Ryan Van wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I was wondering if we had some statistics on the most popular / used
> activities. I am trying to look into implementing features / fixing
> issues for activities for GSoC (and in general) and want to make
> sure what I'm working on has a greater impact rather than focusing
> on smaller less used activities.
>
> Thanks,
> Ryan

James Cameron