[Sugar-devel] Contributing through GSoC

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Mar 8 17:24:30 EDT 2020

On Sun, Mar 08, 2020 at 02:17:33PM +0000, shaansubbaiah.cs18 at bmsce.ac.in wrote:
> Hi Srevin,
>
>     I have tried installing Sugar for Arch from your repo(from the stable
> directory), had problems with the installer script. I'm not sure if it runs on
> vanilla Arch but I was unable to get it work on a fresh install of Manjaro. I
> have forked the repo ([1]https://github.com/shaansubbaiah/sugar-arch/blob/
> master/stable/autoinstall.sh) and made slight changes in the installer script
> with which I got it working.
>
>     Even after getting the installer script to work, some packages like
> sugar-artwork fail to build due to empy missing. Even after installing empy it
> failed. Seems to be a common issue ? (https://www.gitmemory.com/issue/sugarlabs
> /sugar/896/569960865)

Yes, it is common.  For sugar-artwork, this pull request is in
progress;

https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-artwork/pull/114

However at the moment it stalls the build by reading from terminal,
because the lone "-" means read from stdin yet stdin is not
redirected.

You may contribute to the pull request with changes or test results.

>     Could you advise how to proceed?
>
> Thanks,
> Shaan
>
> On Saturday, March 7, 2020, 1:20:13 PM GMT+5:30, Srevin Saju
> <srevin03 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks Shaan. You have brought interest to know you have been using Manjaro
> (Arch) based Linux. I would be happy to have Arch Linux based packages tested
> and then published it to the community repository for pacman. You may be
> interested in installing Sugar Desktop natively on Manjaro by [2]https://
> github.com/srevinsaju/sugar-arch
>
> Hope this helps you install it natively, and it would benefit the community
> indeed.

> [1] https://github.com/shaansubbaiah/sugar-arch/blob/master/stable/autoinstall.sh
> [2] https://github.com/srevinsaju/sugar-arch

James Cameron