[Sugar-devel] Contributing through GSOC

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Fri Mar 6 19:51:28 EST 2020

Welcome Shaan.  Thanks for your interest.

Please do discuss your application ideas with us, and get involved.

The 'Debian advocacy for Sugar' project idea includes testing and then
fixing bugs in Debian packages of Sugar and activities, or any other
Debian packages they depend on.  The project idea requires working
with two communities; Sugar Labs and Debian.  My estimate is that this
will easily cover the 12 weeks of full-time work, and would be a
never-ending task, with always something to do better.  It will be
difficult to avoid getting bogged down in detail.  A key deficiency
is that Debian packages for Sugar after the latest Debian stable
release do not allow use of Sugar.  No release date is yet set for
Debian 11 Bullseye, but Ubuntu does use the Debian Testing packages,
and this is why Ubuntu 20.04 is unlikely to include Sugar.  An outcome
of the project idea is that Ubuntu 20.10 or 21.04 may include Sugar
once more.

Thanks for testing my Ubuntu 20.04 packages.  My packages demonstrate
that Sugar can be packaged in a way that works, but the packages do
not meet Debian or Ubuntu standards, and are difficult to use because
a separate package archive must be added.

You can find a tutorial for using Sugar on https://help.sugarlabs.org/

I'll not comment about 'Sugarizer game activity pack', best is for you
to contact Lionel Llaske about it.

On Fri, Mar 06, 2020 at 08:35:18PM +0000, shaansubbaiah.cs18 at bmsce.ac.in wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I'm Shaan Subbaiah, a 2nd year CSE undergrad interested in contributing towards
> SugarLabs through GSoC. I would like to work on the task 'Debian advocacy for
> Sugar'.
> I use Linux (Manjaro) on a daily basis but this would be the first time I would
> be testing software packages. I'm not sure if the task would span the 3 months
> alotted by GSOC, I'd be very happy to work on the 'Game Activity Pack' task if
> time permits as I have experience in Web Dev.
>
> Just installed Ubuntu FocalFossa/ 20.04 (6 Mar) on KVM, followed instructions
> to install sucrose from here(http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/
> 2020-February/057763.html).
> (Also, for anyone else following the same steps on KVM, switching the graphics
> adapter to 'virtio' from 'qxl' will prevent issues when using the sugar or
> ubuntu non wayland options while loggin in.)
>
> Apart from what I believe are small ui issues like text moving when using the
> slider upon setting age, calculator moving out of the screen upon clicking the
> buttons on the toolbar, I have found no issues so far. There are no navigation
> icons unlike the online sugarizer, the only way to switch activites is using
> the function keys. There was no tutorial/ popup on setup and I couldn't exit
> the Journal.
>
> I would like you to guide me in the right direction regarding the testing
> process.
> Thankyou

James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/