[Sugar-devel] Music Blocks v3.0 is released.

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Mar 5 02:14:18 EST 2020

On Wed, Mar 04, 2020 at 07:25:58AM -0500, Walter Bender wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 8:52 PM Walter Bender <[1]walter.bender at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>     Sugar yes. The new version of Browse should work nicely.
>     Sugarizer, no. Lionel has said it is too large.
>
>     On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 7:53 PM James Cameron <[2]quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
>
>         Are there any plans to add Music Blocks to Sugarizer or Sugar?
>
> At James: What is the recommended approach to embedding inside Browse these
> days?

It depends on what browser features the application needs.  If those
features are contained within WebKit2.WebView, then not much is
needed.  List the features; e.g. touch events, mouse clicks, keyboard
events, back and forward button, reload, etc.

HelpActivity and JupyterLabs both instantiate a WebKit2.WebView.

WikipediaActivity does a sideways import of Browse.

Sugar Web activities have a WebKit2.WebView instantiated for them by
Sugar when exec is /usr/bin/sugar-web-activity.

> In the past, I simply modified the HOME_PAGE_GCONF_KEY to use a copy
> of musicblocks included in the bundle.

The port from GConf to Gio.Settings brought with it a design
inadequacy, that configuration keys needed to be defined in a schema
before the program ran, and GNOME project envisaged this would be most
commonly handled by running glib-compile-schemas at package install.

Sugar activity bundles don't have that available to them.

There was a way around it; define a schema at runtime, but that meant
the URL is stored inside the activity root directory.  Details are in
_get_local_settings in browser.py.

> Do you recommend removing some unrelated Browse functionality, such
> as the search bar?

It is best to offer only user interface elements that are meaningful
to use of the application.

> Do you think it is worth modifying Browse itself to make it easier
> to do this sort of embedding?

That depends on what user interface elements are needed, and that
depends on what browser features are needed.

The choice will be somewhere on this spectrum;

* use a WebKit2.WebView with no significant user interface elements,

* use a WebKit2.WebView with a few user interface elements,

* use the WebActivity and disabled a few user interface elements,

* use the WebActivity with a change to default page,

* start the WebActivity.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/