[Sugar-devel] Proposal to move communication to other platform

D. Joe sugarlabs at etrumeus.com
Wed Mar 4 13:16:18 EST 2020

Please consider also using the freenode Matrix bridge to the IRC channels, which gives a lot of the advantages people seek from the locked-in, single-vendor, centralized, proprietary services.

Mozilla has very recently gone through the process of re-evaluating their needs in this regard and decided to use Matrix entirely.

That gitter is being used is a good demonstration of the fact that this project isn't really in a position to decide what people use. People decide that on their own and we do the best with it that we can.

For example, I'll acknowledge that our Gitter users have established it as yet another glinting shard on the great fractured disco ball of haphazardly connected sites and services and projects that is Sugarlabs.

The Mozilla and Gitter developments are the recent updates, but beyond that I'm not going to repeat myself, but rather refer back to previous iterations of this conversation through this link and the discussion before it to which it, in turn, also refers:

http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2018-February/055064.html

If a Gitter-IRC bridge has been stood up and is being maintained by anyone, please let me know.

--
Joe

On Wed, Mar 04, 2020 at 11:00:00PM +0530, Prashant Sengar wrote:
> Thanks a log for your response. I completely understand the transparency
> maintained by sugar and value it. I did not know about the gitter chat room as
> I didn't find it in the wiki. I will be happy to add it in the wiki if it isn't
> really there and I did not make a mistake.
>

> Thanks and regards,
> Prashant Sengar
>
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2020, 10:45 PM Chihurumnaya Ibiam <
> ibiamchihurumnaya at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>
>     Hi Prashant,
>
>     1. We have a gitter chat room which you can use, James is quite active
>     there so he'll see your messages if you sent any.
>     2. IRC can be used on android devices and they're various clients, I use
>     androirc you can check it out.
>
>     We prefer communication be done on the mailing list for transparency as a
>     lot of people are subscribed to it and not everyone is on other platforms.
>
>     On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 3:33 PM Prashant Sengar <prashantsengar5 at gmail.com>
>     wrote:
>
>         Hi,
>
>         I am sure this request must have been raised earlier as well. I wanted
>         to ask if Sugar could create a communication channel on another
>         platform such as a discord server, Slack or Telegram instead of IRC to
>         make communication easier.
>
>         The reason why others will be a better option:
>         1. The chats will be accessible even if I am offline for a while,
>         unlike IRC where I cannot see any earlier data.
>         2. IRC cannot be used on mobile devices, so it creates a barrier in
>         communication. On the other hand, the other chat applications are
>         available on all platforms for everyone to use.
>
>         I would like to request the team to please consider this request. If
>         such request has been made earlier and denied due to some reasons, then
>         I would like to know them so that I can understand the reasons and work
>         accordingly.
>
>         Regards.
>         Prashant Sengar

Joe   On ceding power to tech companies: http://xkcd.com/1118/
man screen | grep -A2 weird
  A weird imagination is most useful to gain full advantage of
  all the features.