[Sugar-devel] getting the Sugar Toolkit working with python 3

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Jan 28 15:01:06 EST 2020

Thanks.  Really interesting; I learned a few things from your
research.

One of the problems I faced when whipping up Sugar Live Build on
Debian was how our dependencies *do not* easily support using unusual
paths.  Dependencies such as;

* Xsession, for starting Sugar itself,

* D-Bus, for starting an instance of sugar-datastore aka carquinyol,

* pkexec, for reading and writing display backlight levels.

I found it simpler to move the files to where they can be used than
to reconfigure each of these dependencies.

Next step to avoid the cognitive dissonance is to build custom
packages of Sugar and add them to the live build.

I had hoped to figure out from Debian how to do this, but progress has
been slow; at the moment in Debian and also consequently in Ubuntu
19.10

* sugar-toolkit-gtk3 for 0.116 is packaged (Python 2 and Python 3),

* sugar for 0.112 is packaged (Python 2 only).

These are incompatible, and Sugar does not start.  It's one of those
mine canary things; it has been this way for months and nobody has yet
reported a bug to Debian.  Therefore there are no testers of Debian
who focus on Sugar.  That will be a good enough reason for Sugar to
disappear from Debian, as had almost happened in Fedora.

For upcoming 20.04, the Ubuntu team has removed most of the Sugar
packages.  Perhaps I like this because I can then supply my own and
not have conflicts.  ;-)

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 05:23:31PM +0000, D. Joe wrote:

> OK, in the face of my unease with seeing someone doing that (modifying files in directories under package-management control) anywhere but in an isolated dev environment (container or chroot), I think I've finally grasped a second dimension to the Python path situation, particularly as it applies to Debian (and by extension, to Ubuntu).
>
> There are two ways, generally speaking, to address this sort of problem: Either a) put the files where your installation of Python is looking for them (what's been done in the example upthread), or b) tell your installation of Python any new locations in which it should look for the files.
>
> What we've been trying to do is put the files in a directory set aside by Debian policy as a place for Debian packages to put their modules. [10][10], [20][20]
>
> I *had* thought Debian (with, presumably, Ubuntu following suit) uses paths containing `dist-packages` so as not to conflict with the default from the Python project upstream, which is to use `site-packages`. [30][30]
>
> We've been discussing how best to handle these differences for a little while now. [40][40], [50][50]
>
> For instance, `sugar-live-build` currently transfers files from one `site-packages` directory to the parallel `dist-packages` directories for `sugar3`, `carquinyol`, and `jarabe` using `rsync` or `mv`. [60]
>
> James pointed out Debian bug report 765022 in earlier discussion, but I only just now absorbed the lesson from the last response of the Debian developer there.[70]
>
> There are two dimensions to consider:
>
> The first is whether or not Python module files are installed under control of the distribution's package manager using the distribution's .deb package, or built and installed by the system administrator from source. I had misattributed the `dist-packages` vs `site-packages` difference as addressing this dimension, but I was wrong. The file system distinction between `/usr/lib` versus `/usr/local/lib` is meant to address this dimension, and continues long-standing practice.
>
> The second dimension is the attempt to make sure that the Python files match the python executable being used. Debian tries to accomodate the possibility that the sysadmin or user would try to use a python executable other than the one installed by the distribution. We use the distribution-supplied python interpreters (eg, `/usr/bin/python` and `/usr/bin/python3`), so this question hasn't arisen for us and may be why I missed seeing the distinction.

> [...]

James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/