[Sugar-devel] setup the development environment

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Fri Jan 17 06:18:50 EST 2020

All three options fit to some extent; it depends on what level of the stack you find yourself working in, and you won't know that until you begin to diagnose what went wrong.

Sugar Live Build is available for Python 3.

Packaged Sugar is not fully available for Python 3, so this would force you to work on the older version of Sugar before the port to Python 3.

Native Sugar is very complex, but does allow you to work on the gwebsockets module, which is needed by Sugar Web activities to communicate with the shell.

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 09:27:27PM +0530, b18050 b18050 wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>  I was going through Gsoc 2019 ideas where I got some interest in the idea of
> backporting the sugarizer activities back to sugar desktop. So, I was following
> the Steps to take. There I found link to setup a development environment but It
> lists three different ways to setting up the development environment.
> 1. Sugar Live Build
> 2. Packaged sugar
> 3. Native sugar
> So, I want to know which way to choose to setup the development environment.
> Therefore,I am looking here for suggestion for the same which fits my
> requirement.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Regards
> Chandan