[Sugar-devel] Sugar Advocacy for Arch Linux

Alex Perez aperez at alexperez.com
Tue Feb 4 13:51:46 EST 2020

Srevin,

I'm personally a fan of Arch Linux, but It's a bit of a chicken-and-egg
problem, when we already don't have sufficient resources. While I
welcome testing of Sugar on Arch, I don't think it makes sense for us to
direct existing resources there, unless there's a demonstrable reason
why it's necessary, or even directly beneficial. I would personally
rather see Sugar Labs direct more focus on maintaining tested and good
packages for Debian/Ubuntu, and Fedora, given that we know we have users
there.

All distributions can be relatively easily customized, so I'm not
particularly swayed by the argument that Arch serves customization any
better than any other distribution, frankly. I also suspect that most
schools that choose to use Linux are likely using one of the more
popular, mainstream distros, such as Ubuntu or Debian, possibly Fedora.
Regardless, anyone is free to contribute as they choose, but asking us
to focus efforts to $favoritePreferredDistro doesn't necessarily serve
to benefit the community as a whole.

Regards,
Alex Perez