[Sugar-devel] GTK 4.0 Release

Martin Guy martinwguy at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 04:45:32 EST 2020

On 18/12/2020, Chihurumnaya Ibiam <ibiamchihurumnaya at gmail.com> wrote:
> GTK 4.0 was released a few days ago
> This means that in no distant time we'll be looking at porting activities
> to GTK4.

Given that the OSes that Sugar is based on will take several years to
include that in their stable releases, and that GTK3 will be included
for the next ten or twenty years, as GTK 1, 2 are currently, can you
explain how that will help the Sugar system, given all the other work
that needs doing?

Also, I doubt that an activity ported to GTK4 will continue to run on
GTK3 hence not on all the systems that don't have GTK4 yet, as the
point of a major release is usually that its API is not compatible, so
I expect that work to break the activities one by one for all
practical purposes.