[Sugar-devel] New Trisquel Sugar Live version

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Dec 15 16:23:09 EST 2020

Biggest reason to hide it is the destruction it can cause.

Original decision to do so was based on risk of having kids come back
to their teachers with non-working laptops.  Scaling that up to
millions of kids made hiding it a lower cost option.

But given the technical knowledge required to use or install Trisquel
is so much greater than a preloaded laptop, and the number of kids
involved much smaller, Martin should consider making Terminal visible
there.

The file to patch during install or boot is
sugar:data/activities.hidden
which is usually installed at /usr/src/sugar/data/activities.hidden

As upstream, I see insufficient justification to adopt this change for
Sugar.

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 01:57:16PM +0100, Chihurumnaya Ibiam wrote:
> Thanks for testing and reporting issues, I've opened an [1]issue in the
> IknowMyABCs activity.
>
> For the issue of making the Terminal activity, I agree with you but I don't
> think it's necessary as the user
> would most likely eventually get to it if they're curious and yeah I get, why
> not just make it easier for them to find.
>
> The Log activity is a default except that isn't the case in TOAST.
>
> --
>
> Ibiam Chihurumnaya
> [2]ibiamchihurumnaya at gmail.com
>
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 8:40 PM Martin Guy <[3]martinwguy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     There is now a second version of trisquel-sugar_9.0_i686.iso including
>     world language support.
>     See [4]https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Trisquel_On_A_Sugar_Toast for info.
>     Known defects are collecting in
>     [5]https://gitlab.trisquel.org/trisquel/makeiso/-/issues
>
>     If anyone fancies testing it further or investigating any of the
>     issues, please do!
>
>     The ISO image is build using
>     [6]https://gitlab.trisquel.org/trisquel/makeiso but I haven't managed to
>     get that to work for me yet.