[Sugar-devel] New Activity Proposal

Lionel Laské lionel.laske at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 11:46:44 EDT 2020

Just few elements to give you some context.

Sugarizer was designed initially to host Sugar activities written with
Sugar-Web. A brief history of Sugarizer is here:
https://github.com/llaske/sugarizer/blob/dev/docs/credits.md
So the Sugar-Web implementation in Sugarizer was compatible with Sugar.
It's why today, the activity template to write a new Sugarizer activity (
https://github.com/llaske/sugarizer/tree/dev/activities/ActivityTemplate)
use in Sugarizer Development Tutorial, still include Python stuff.
Just zip the content of your Sugarizer activities into a .xo file (explain
here:
https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-docs/blob/master/src/web-activity.md#ready-to-release)
and you should be able to install it on Sugar and run it. At least,
theoretically.

Unfortunately the compatibility between Sugarizer and Sugar-Web was lost
during the development of Sugarizer. The Sugar-Web implementation in
Sugarizer was never merged in Sugar-Web, Sugarizer added new features
(presence, Journal chooser, ...) not directly compatible with Sugar and no
one worked to maintain the compatibility.

BTW it will be interesting to retrieve this compatibility, even if some
features are not directly mappable, at least to allow a Sugarizer activity
to be launched on Sugar and run basic features of the activity.

It's not necessary a very complex task but it require rigor and patience.
The thread here: https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-web/pull/133 explain
the process if you're volunteer to work on this task. Of course, both
people from the Sugar side and from the Sugarizer side on this list will be
able to help you.

Regards.

          Lionel.