[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] From OLPC XO To Positivo: Rwanda Sets The Bar Higher

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Mon Nov 25 03:40:00 EST 2019

The current school year in Rwanda is just ending and the new year starts
January 6. The Positivos have been distributed to GS (Groupe Scolaire)
schools which are public with grades from entry to S3 (9th grade).

The ICT Curriculum is based on Windows - with some planned expansion to
include mobile techniques. The Positivos are distributed with Windows 10
installed.  Neither the Positivos or XOs currently include touch screen
technology.

Note: as far as I know, Rwanda is the largest still active XO
deployment. The need is to find a bridge between the student's three
years of primary school XO experience and their further ICT
instruction.The Positivo hard drive is large enough to support an
Ubuntu/Sugar install alongside.. Some teachers are making this install
on their own initiative. The article hints that Rwanda may take official
advantage of this opportunity.

I am currently in Rwanda working with Care 4 Kids, a German philanthropy
supporting the use of the XO. Care 4 Kids provides interns - local A
Level graduates in ICT to selected schools. In 2019 these interns
supported five GS schools in Kigali province (XO ICT enrollment in the
thousands). In 2020, there will be five two-person teams of interns.
Four teams supporting  a school in one of the provinces and working with
teachers from five surrounding schools. The Kigali team will continue to
support the five 2019 schools. Their support provided in the native
language has proven effective and popular.

Tony