[Sugar-devel] GCI update

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 21:09:46 EST 2019

On Sun, Nov 24, 2019 at 8:13 PM James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> Thanks, that worked better.

Glad you are able to see all of the tasks now.

> https://codein.withgoogle.com/dashboard/tasks/5202335932874752/ is
> already completed.

deleted.

> https://codein.withgoogle.com/dashboard/tasks/5095174972112896/ is
> already completed.

deleted.

FWIW, I deleted two Music Blocks tasks today too as we just got PRs for
them. Happens.

> https://codein.withgoogle.com/dashboard/tasks/5752323406561280/ makes
> no sense; there was no general agreement by any of the maintainers to
> use this tool, and if there was, it should be attached to the specific
> project not Sugar Labs in general.  Perhaps something for the
> oversight board rather than a GCI student.

I pushed back on this already but I though it would be good to learn a bit
more about such tools. It was a research project, nothing more. Maybe we
should look into GitHub actions as a means of exploring CI.

> https://codein.withgoogle.com/dashboard/tasks/5643490613002240/ is
> already assigned (to me), the cause is well understood, and anyway the
> changes likely to be done aren't to configure.ac file.

Was never published as I had doubts. Thanks for clarifying.

> https://codein.withgoogle.com/dashboard/tasks/5174561855766528/ seems
> to be a duplicate of
> https://codein.withgoogle.com/dashboard/tasks/5990706573737984/ with
> the latter being better defined.

Deleted the duplicate, which was not published.

> https://codein.withgoogle.com/dashboard/tasks/5416369386946560/
> makes no sense because the activity does not support collaboration,
> and so there's no way to test if the task was completed properly.

I didn't recall if I ever added  collaboration to Story, but I think it
would be a nice addition. So I rewrote the task to add collaboration.

> https://codein.withgoogle.com/dashboard/tasks/5756584903311360/ makes
> no sense; Pippy is a Fructose activity therefore it is always
> installed with Sugar.

deleted. (Was never published)

> --
>
> Some of the tasks I've changed;
>
> https://codein.withgoogle.com/dashboard/tasks/6283229045194752/ was
> not well explained; fixed.

+1

> https://codein.withgoogle.com/dashboard/tasks/5663050028285952/
> suggested changing the style and appearance of Pippy documentation,
> but as this is part of the Help activity it can't be done that way;
> fixed.

+1

> https://codein.withgoogle.com/dashboard/tasks/5572284450865152/ failed
> to mention our trademarks and referred to Sugar Labs by the wrong
> name, and didn't have enough instances; fixed.

I made some edits too.

> https://codein.withgoogle.com/dashboard/tasks/6240060362457088/ also
> failed to mention the trademark concerns; fixed.

Yeah. Not 100% sold on this task. I have a hard time believing we'll see
something worth going to the trouble of changing our logo.

> https://codein.withgoogle.com/dashboard/tasks/5667733656567808/ can't
> be done until a Port to GTK 3 is completed, so changed instance
> count to zero.

We can unpublish and then publish when it is ready.

> https://codein.withgoogle.com/dashboard/tasks/5662089583001600/ lesson
> plans go in the Help activity.

 I was going to do a bit more cleaning up before publishing this one.

> --
>
> Tasks suggested;
>
> - complete a code review or test on someone else's pull request, with
>   reference to our contribution guide section for reviewers,

This is a nice idea. We need to figure out the logistics.

> - further work on Jappy, or Develop, rather than only Pippy,

Wanna wrtie something up?

> On Sun, Nov 24, 2019 at 01:17:16PM +0100, Chihurumnaya Ibiam wrote:
> > Hi James,
> >
> > The 63 you're seeing might be the tasks you've been assigned to, you can
> > uncheck the "My task" button below the tasks page to see all tasks.
> >
> > Can you point out the tasks that make no sense or are for already
> completed
> > work?
> >
> > On Sun, Nov 24, 2019, 10:17 AM James Cameron <[1]quozl at laptop.org>
> wrote:
> >
> >     I'll have to take your word for it on "almost 200", as the dashboard
> >     only shows me 63.
> >
> >     For those I can see, quality of the tasks is a problem.
> >
> >     Several of them make no sense or are for already completed work.
> >
> >     Yet all I can do is change the description or the instance count.  I
> >     don't even know who made the tasks.
> >
> >     The tasks need better review before they are published.  There's
> >     nothing so demoralising for a student to realise they are being
> >     misguided into wasting their time.
> >
> >     On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 10:07:21AM -0500, Walter Bender wrote:
> >     > GCI begins on 2 December. We are in pretty good shape: almost 200
> tasks
> >     > published with a nice balance between Sugar Desktop, Music Blocks
> and
> >     > Sugarizer. (Thanks to everyone who has been helping with task
> creation.)
> >     >
> >     > Note that we can continue to add more tasks throughout the contest.
> >     >
> >     > Most tasks have 4-6 mentors, so I think we should have decent
> coverage in
> >     terms
> >     > of feedback to the participants. Please, where as the primary
> channel for
> >     > communication with the participants will be IRC, try to hang out
> in #
> >     sugar as
> >     > much as possible. We are here to help the students learn, so
> please keep
> >     that
> >     > in mind. (We also expect some solid contributions to Sugar.)
> >     >
> >     > Reminder: We expect that the quality of submissions be the same as
> for
> >     any
> >     > contribution. Please do not sign off on tasks that are not
> [...]

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs
http://www.sugarlabs.org
<http://www.sugarlabs.org>