[Sugar-devel] Participating in Google Code-In

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Nov 18 15:19:28 EST 2019

G'day Abhay,

My post yesterday "How to get started as a Sugar Labs developer [v8]"
has a list of ideas of where to code.  See the trailing section.

http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2019-November/057323.html

You may want to understand the architecture of Sugar software.

Please look at https://help.sugarlabs.org/ which is the user
documentation for Sugar and activities.  Relate it to the following.

Sugar software consists of;

* a toolkit "sugar3", based on PyGObject, D-Bus, GLib, GTK 3, WebKit,
  ALSA, and Rsvg,
  https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-toolkit-gtk3

* a datastore "carquinyol", based on PyGObject, Xapian, and D-Bus,
  https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-datastore

* a user interface shell "jarabe", based on PyGObject, GConf, GTK 3,
  GtkSourceView, Avahi, GStreamer, NetworkManager, and Telepathy,
  https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar

* graphical design assets and artwork,
  https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-artwork

Sugar activities are self-contained applications;

* may be written in any language, but most often in Python, less often
  in JavaScript, and less often in any other language,
  https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-docs/blob/master/src/languages.md

* may be in a bundle form (an .xo file which is a ZIP),
  https://activities.sugarlabs.org/

* may be in GitHub,
  https://github.com/sugarlabs/

* may be in Gitorious (http://git.sugarlabs.org/)

Please continue to read the Wiki, our GitHub documentation repository
sugar-docs, and other resources to understand the architecture
further.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/