[Sugar-devel] Sugar on Debian 10 (Buster)?

Jeff Elkner jeff.elkner at gmail.com
Fri May 17 11:00:07 EDT 2019

Thanks for the quick responses,  Chihurumnaya and James!  Yes,
pressing F3 did the trick.  I should have remembered that from my OLPC
days, but it has been so long since I've used Sugar.  Incidentally, I
had forgotten that I lent my last two XO4's to a former student so
that he could experiment with mesh networking.  He is finished with
them and is returning them to me.  A quick look at:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/18.04.0

reveals that the latest Sugar update for my XO's will be running
Ubuntu 18.04, but also that it has the same issues I'm seeing in the
Debian Sid VM with Metacity, I guess?

James, I can't agree with you from personal experience that "Rasbian
has a very high barrier to entry unless the microSD card is
purchased already loaded (e.g. NOOBS)."  On the contrary, the website
instructions for creating your own microSD card are super easy using
etcher (https://www.balena.io/etcher/).  When you first boot from the
resulting microSD, it automatically runs a script that expands the
file system to fill the card, so the steps are really just:

1. Install Etcher.
2. Download the Raspian image file.
3. Write it to the microSD card.
4. Put it in your Raspberry Pi, turn it on, and follow directions.
5. Enjoy your new operating system!

That's precisely what I mean by a "user friendly recipe", since it is
cross platform, does not even require knowledge of the Unix CLI, and
works like a charm.

Last thing to report -- After Chihurumnaya so kindly and patiently
reminded my about F3 (which I really should have remembered :-(, I was
able to get to the main activity window and see the four activities.
Three of them worked, but the browse activity did not.

I think is is really important to fix the Metacity problem so that you
see the proper welcome screen when you launch Sugar.  I'm not going to
try to push things onto Debian stretch.  Buster is looking like it
will become the stable distro sometime this Summer.  After that
settles would be a good time to talk about a deployment recipe for
buster.  Since I'm a school teacher and won't have students during
June, July and August, I'm really hoping to ramp this up next
September in any case.

Thanks!
Jeff